QNAP Systems is recognized as one of the leading NAS solutions available. NAS stands for Network Attached Storage and QNAP Systems is a provider that stands out thanks to the fact that it supports both NAS and NVR. The latter refers to Network Video Recorder and it gives you additional possibilities. With QNAP, you can enjoy a complete list of storage and automation features in one place, via QNAP NAS devices. Unfortunately, one thing that is important to keep in mind is that there are some privacy concerns associated to QNAP NAS devices. As such, you need to use a VPN that encrypts your entire network traffic and that offers solid online protection when you use QNAP NAS devices. In order to enjoy the advantages of QNAP devices without putting your privacy at risk, it is important that you use a VPN service and here, we will tell you what are the best options available. Before we go through the list of the best services to add security to your experience with QNAP NAS devices, we’ll talk about the steps that will allow you to set up a VPN with QNAP.
QNAP VPN Server
With a VPN, it is possible to access network resources and services securely. In addition, QNAP NAS provides a VPN service that allows you to use resources on NAS devices using a variety of tunneling protocols. The protocols supported include L2TP/IPSec, PPTP and OpenVPN. With a VPN, you can enjoy QNAP securely and without putting your privacy at risk. You will need to enable these protocols (OpenVPN, PPTP or L2TP/IPSec), add a new VPN user and enable auto route configuration function. Make sure that you have a good internet connection. In the case of L2TP/IPSec, you need a supported QTS version 4.2.0 or above. The QVPN Service app combines VPN server, VPN client and L2TP/IPsec that can be downloaded to your NAS.
With L2TP/IPSec, you can enjoy advanced protection and will be able to enjoy the internet anonymously. In addition, it works with a variety of operating systems and you can follow the below steps to enable this protocol:
- Look for L2TP/IPSec from app center and add to your NAS
- After the installation, go to control panel and through control panel>applications>VPN server>VPN server settings
- Enable L2TP/PPTP VPN server, select LT2P/IPSec and then select configuration settings
- Enter the start and end IP addresses through VPN client IP pool.
- You will also need to enter pre shared key, the maximum number of clients, authentication and choose a network interface. Keep in mind that you need to specify DNS server manually and also mention DNS server IP for VPN clients.
In order to enable PPTP, follow the below steps:
- From control panel>applications>VPN server>VPN server settings>enable L2TP/PPTP VPN server and select PPTP and go to configuration settings. Through VPN client IP pool, you need to enter the start and end IP addresses. Then, select the maximum amount of clients, authentication and choose a network interface.
- You need to specify DNS server manually and make sure that you also mention DNS server IP for VPN clients.
To enable OpenVPN, follow the instructions below:
- From control panel>applications>VPN server settings>enable L2TP/PPTP VPN server and enable OpenVPN server and head to configuration settings.
- Through VPN client IP pool, you need to enter the start and end IP addresses.
- Select OpenVPN transport protocol by choosing UDP and TCP
- You need to select the maximum number of clients, authentication and choose a network interface, as well as encryption method.
- You need to select redirect gateway option and activate compressed VPN link option as well.
- Make sure that you specify DNS server manually and mention DNS server IP for VPN clients too.
Add a new VPN server
Here are the steps that you need to follow in order to add a new VPN server:
From control panel go to applications, then VPN service, VPN client management and Add VPN users. Then choose the connection type accordingly.
How to set up port forwarding on your router
It is possible to setup port forwarding on your router following these steps:
You need to open the NAT router, if your QNAP NAS is located behind the NAT router.
Forward these ports to fixed LAN IP of NAS. In some ports, the feature is known as Port Forwarding.
It is also possible to use your WAN IP to connect to your QNAP NAS.
How to set up QNAP on Windows 10
After configuring your QNAP NAS devices, you can do the below:
1. Open Action Center and select the VPN icon
2. Select add a VPN connection and set your VPN service to Windows
3. Choose a connection name. Then you can set VPN type such as L2TP/IPSec with pre-shared key and enter your pre-shared key in input field.
4. Enter your username and password to set up your account. This account will be used to access your QNAP NAS devices. Keep in mind that if your NAS device is behind the enabled device, you have to edit your Windows 10 registry.
5. Press Windows+R and then type regedit and press Enter
6. Explore HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PolicyAgent key.
7. You need to point to new on the edit menu and then click DWORD (32-bit) value.
8. Type AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule and press enter
9. Then you need to right click AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule and click modifu
10. Type 2 in Value Data box and select OK.
11. Close the registry editor and restart your device. Now you should be able to connect to QNAP VPN server via Windows 10 devices.
Best VPNs for QNAP
NordVPN is one of the most reliable VPN services in terms of security and protection for your privacy. They have thousands of servers in over 60 countries and since they are based in Panama, they are not required to keep logs and are away from the jurisdiction of the likes of the NSA. NordVPN has practical apps that you can install on your QNAP NAS devices easily. NordVPN also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and advanced security features. No logs are kept at all.
PUreVPN has an extensive selection of servers in over 140 countries and it secures your online traffic on QNAP NAS devices in an easy and convenient way. They use high encryption to keep your information protected. Plus, they have a 31-day money back guarantee, which is very generous. PureVPN doesn’t keep logs of your online activities.
ExpressVPN has servers in over 90 countries and it is one of the best providers available for gaming and streaming, thanks to the fantastic speeds that it offers. ExpressVPN offers remarkable performance and it offers high quality apps for all leading platforms. It provides high security and it doesn’t keep logs of your online activities.
Although IPVanish is based in the United States, it has a no logs policy that promises that no information that could compromise your data is ever collected. It has servers in over 60 countries and it is a reliable solution to enjoy a secure experience with QNAP.