Windows still holds a high percentage of the market when it comes to desktop operating systems, but it hasn’t enjoyed the same popularity with its mobile version. It is not that Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile are not good options, but they haven’t managed to get the attention from users. By the time Microsoft entered the mobile market, iOS and Android had already taken the lead. There are simply not many apps available for Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile devices, which stops people from buying them. At the same time, since these platforms are not very popular, developers don’t invest time creating apps for them.
However, Microsoft hasn’t given up and it is still looking to get ahead of the game by adding new features to its mobile solutions, to appeal consumers who want an alternative to Android and iOS. Windows 10 Mobile comes with Microsoft’s personal digital assistance, Cortana and with Continuum, a practical function that allows you to turn your phone into a PC so that you can work from your device, while you are on the go. If you own a device running a Microsoft mobile operating system, one of the best ways to enjoy all its functionality in a safe way is using a VPN. The issue is that given the fact that these platforms are not widely used, it is not easy to find VPN providers that offer dedicated apps for them.
Most commercial VPNs use OpenVPN since this protocol offers a high level of security and reliability. Unfortunately, OpenVPN doesn’t offer support for Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile. While you may not find VPN apps specially designed for Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile, it is still possible to find VPN services that work on this platforms. In this article, we will go through the best solutions for Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile. These VPNs are great options due to their fast performance, high security and the fact that they support protocols like L2TP and IKEv2, which are compatible with Windows Phone 8.1 and L2TP, IKEv2 and SSTP, which work with Windows 10 Mobile.
PureVPN is a provider based in Hong Kong and it is another leading solution in the VPN industry. PureVPN has more than 750 servers in 141 countries, which is an outstanding global coverage that will give you flexibility to bypass restrictions. PureVPN comes with practical features like split tunneling, which enables you to select which data you want to send through the VPN and which one should use your standard internet connection. PureVPN uses strong encryption to protect your online traffic and it doesn’t keep logs of your activities. They support multiple protocols including LT2P, SSTP and IKEv2 so you will be able to enjoy the service on your Windows mobile device.
NordVPN is known for its advanced security features and its zero logs policy. Since the provider is based in Panama, it is not subject to mandatory data retention. While not all the servers are efficient, there are ultra fast options for streaming and a large network that ensures that you always find an option to connect to. They cover almost 60 countries and you can enhance your security with features like Tor over VPN and double encryption. NordVPN supports L2TP, IKEv2 and SSTP, which makes it a suitable choice for Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile. The customer service and the set up guides are also quite good.
VyprVPN is Golden Frog’s VPN solution and it gives you a fast, efficient solution to protect your online traffic and stream content, or play online games without annoying delays. Since they manage their own network, they have greater control over the performance and speed of their service. There are servers in more than 70 global locations and VyprVPN is also known for its exclusive Chameleon technology. This solution will allow you to bypass restrictions and defeat DPI and firewalls effectively. VyprVPN supports L2TP so it will also suit Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile.
How to set up a VPN on Windows Phone 8.1
- Swipe down on the notification bar at the top and select Settings
- Scroll down and select VPN
- Enable VPN (toggle on) and then click the + sign at the bottom
- Your provider can give you a list with server addresses. You just need to enter one of these and then click the drop-down menu under Type and select the protocol you want to use.
- Select Connect and choose the username+password+preshared key. Enter the username, password and pre-shared key from your provider. Then you can choose to connect automatically if you want to use the VPN all the time.
- Enable “Send all traffic” and enter a profile name. You can choose any name you want, for instance the name of the provider or the name of the server. Tap Save.
- In the VPN menu, select the name of the VPN and connect to it. You can repeat the process to add other servers.
Set up a VPN on Windows 10 Mobile manually
- Swipe down on the notification bar at the top to access the settings panel. Then tap VPN and the + sign to add a VPN connection.
- Choose Windows under VPN provider and then enter a connection name. You can choose any name, again, this can be the name of the provider or the server for example.
- Enter a server address from the list provided by your VPN service
- Select the protocol you prefer and then enter the pre-shared key from your VPN provider.
- In the Type of sign-in select Username and password and enter this information. Check the Remember my sign-in info option and then tap Save.
- Go back to the VPN menu and select the connection profile that you set up and choose Connect.