Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a tool you could use to gain remote access to another machine through the internet. It could also provide high quality security and privacy for your online activities, data and information. Unfortunately, like every tool/software, it is impossible for you not to encounter any error.
One of the most common error that VPN users experience is the VPN error 720 on Windows 10. This error means that your connection to the remote computer could not be establish and you might need to change your network settings. To accomplish this, all you have to do is follow the guidelines that we will featuring in this article.
How to fix VPN error 720 on Windows 10
1. Check if your username and password are correct
- Right click start button
- Go to network connections and select VPN
- Choose your VPN connection
- Click Advanced Options
- Click Edit
- Check Server Address
- Click Save
2. Check Windows 10 Firewall for opened ports
- Click start button
- Type firewall
- Select firewall & network protection
- Click advanced settings
- Click yes if asked by User Account Control (UAC)
- Go to outbound rules- take note that you must configure this on the client PC- the device that is trying to connect to a VPN server. If you are remotely accessing another PC using a VPN, check inbound rules>local port status on the server PC.
- Check remote status. This depends on your preferred VPN protocol:
- PTP- port 1723 over TCP and port 47 over GRE (default rules are called Routing and Remote Access PPTP-out and Routing and Remote Access GRE-Out)
- SSTP- port 443 over TCP
- IKEv20 – ports 500 and 4500 over UDP
- L2tp/IPsec – port 1701 over UDP (L2TP- default rule is called Routing and Remote Access L2TP-Out) and ports 500 and 4500 over UDP (IPsec).
Take note that if the ports of your preferred VPN protocol are closed, you will need to open the firewall ports that are associated with your VPN protocol.
3. Reinstall the WAN Miniport network adapters
- Right click Windows 10 start button
- Go to Device Manager
- Expand Network adapters menu
- Right click entry/ies that contain/s WAN miniport
- Click uninstall device
- Click uninstall to confirm
- Do this for all WAN miniport entries
Once done, the WAN miniport network adapters will automatically reinstall by your operating system. You will notice this by right-clicking an entry in the device manager and select scan for hardware changes. This method will fix your VPN error 720 on Windows 10.
4. Update your device drivers
Manually update your device drivers in Windows 10 – network adapters. If you are in a hurry, you could use driver update tools. This will identify your outdated drivers and upgrade them to newer versions.
5. Reset Winsock and flush DNS
- Launch command prompt as admin
- Paste lines and press enter between each line
- Restart your computer
This method is perfect for repairing networking issues quickly. It could also resolve the error 720 on your Windows 10 PC.
6. Set your router’s IP address
- Use your PC configured to accept incoming VPN connections.
- Press Win+R
- Type cmd
- Press enter
- Type ipconfig and Enter
- Choose the IP address that is next to the default gateway
- Press Enter to copy it
- Right click start button
- Go to network connections
- Click change adapter options
- Right click incoming connections
- Go to properties
- Switch to the networking tab
- Double click internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- Select use the following IP address
- Paste the gateway
This method will force your VPN server to use your router’s IP address which will help in fixing VPN error 720 on your Windows 10.
7. Use a premium VPN client
- Subscribe and sign up to Private Internet Access
- Download and install your VPN
- Launch the app
- Click on the icon found on your systray
- Press the power button to connect to the nearest VPN server.
Choosing a trustworthy VPN like Private Internet Access will lessen your worries about encountering VPN error codes on your Windows PC as they usually will automatically resolve those issues for you.
In this article, we have used PIA as an example as it is perfect and best for Windows 10 PC. This VPN service provider is under the company Kape Technologies which is a trust-worthy and reliable VPN company.
Private Internet Access is compatible with OpenVPN and WireGuard protocols which are well-known for their strong encryption functions. Through Private Internet Access you will also be able to connect up to a maximum of 10 devices simultaneously and contact them in case of queries and issues through their 24/7 live chat support.
Also, this VPN comes with about 3,300 plus servers located in about 48 countries and for security features they have split tunneling, port forwarding and a kill switch. They also have no logs and no leaks as well.
Private Internet Access offers a 30-day money back guarantee.
1. Does Windows Firewall block VPN?
Yes, windows firewall could block VPN connections. Hence, you will have to properly configure it.
2. What to do if your VPN is not connecting?
Check the date and time settings. Flushing your DNS and switching to a different network could help you connect your VPN.
We hope we were able to help you fix VPN error 720 through the guidelines that we have featured in this article. If nothing above works, we highly suggest to consider upgrading to a premium subscription plan.