Amazon’s Firestick has become a popular device for streaming movies, TV shows, and other content. But did you know that you can also use a Firestick on your computer or laptop? In this comprehensive guide, we’ll show you how to do just that. We’ll also cover how to mirror your computer screen on your Firestick.
Can You Use a Firestick on a Desktop or Laptop Computer?
Yes, you can use a Firestick on your laptop or computer. However, it’s not as straightforward as plugging the Firestick into your laptop’s HDMI port. That’s because most laptops have HDMI output ports, not input ports. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. There are two main methods to connect a Firestick to a laptop: using an HDMI splitter or an HDMI video capture card.
Using a HDMI Splitter
A HDMI splitter is a device that takes one HDMI input and gives multiple HDMI outputs. This allows you to display the same screen on two monitors at once. Brands like Powlaken and Panoraxy offer affordable HDMI splitters that can be used for this purpose.
Using a HDMI Video Capture Card
A HDMI video capture card converts output to input, allowing the Firestick to be booted on a laptop. To use a HDMI video capture card, you’ll need to download software like Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) onto your computer. OBS allows you to select the video capture device as a source, enabling you to view the Firestick’s output on your laptop.
How to Mirror a Laptop to Your Firestick
Mirroring your laptop screen onto your TV using your Firestick is a simple process. Here’s how to do it:
On Your Firestick:
- Press and hold the Home button.
- Select Mirroring from the menu, then select Enable Display Mirroring.
On Your Windows PC or Laptop:
- On the right side of your taskbar, click the Notification icon.
- Click Connect, then select your Firestick from the list.
- Go to Settings > System > Display to change the resolution and scale of the screen.
If you have a Mac, you can use third-party apps like AirScreen that support Airplay technology to mirror your screen onto your TV using your Firestick.
How to Connect a Firestick to a Computer Monitor
Connecting a Firestick to an external monitor is also straightforward. You can plug it into an available HDMI port or use a VGA adapter to connect it. However, keep in mind that not all monitors have built-in speakers, so you may need headphones or external speakers for audio.
Summary on Using a Firestick with Desktops and Laptops
- Firestick and Computer Streaming: Emphasize that a computer can perform many of the same functions a Fire Stick can, such as streaming through an internet browser and downloading apps onto the desktop. However, the Fire Stick provides a user-friendly interface that some users may prefer.
- Connecting Firestick to a Computer: There are two main methods to connect a Firestick to a computer: using an HDMI splitter or an HDMI Video Capture. Using an HDMI port directly won’t work. An HDMI Splitter duplicates the same screen on two monitors, while an HDMI Video Capture device is needed to convert output to input and connect Firestick 4K on laptops.
- Requirements for Video Capture: To set up video capture, users will need to download OBS software and follow specific steps. They will also need a USB charging cable, an HDMI extension cable, and an extra HDMI cable. An HDCP supported HDMI splitter needs an additional power supply in most cases.
- Sound Options: Most monitors don’t have built-in speakers, so users may need external speakers or headphones. They can connect one end of an audio extractor to the HDMI port of the Fire TV Stick to solve this issue.
- Screen Mirroring: Users can use screencast with their Fire Stick to display their computer screen onto their TV. This requires both devices to be connected to the same WiFi network. It should be noted that iOS and MacOS devices do not support screen Mirroring.
- Troubleshooting: If users encounter issues with their Fire TV Stick, such as a black screen, they can change the video resolution setting to 1080p on Firestick.
- Using Firestick with a Laptop: Some laptops are equipped with a port that can switch between IN and OUT. These laptops include Alienware m17x R3, and R4, Alienware 17 R1, Alienware m18x R1, and R2, and Alienware 18.
- Macbook and Firestick: Users can use the AirScreen app to cast MacOS to TV through Firestick. Sharing a MacBook screen with Firestick requires both devices to be connected to the same WiFi network.
Using a Firestick on your laptop or computer can enhance your streaming experience. Whether you’re using an HDMI splitter, an HDMI video capture card, or mirroring your screen, you can enjoy your favorite content on a larger display. Just remember to follow the steps outlined in this guide, and you’ll be streaming in no time!