A VPN is an excellent tool that could provide your online traffic, connection and activities high quality levels of security, protection and privacy. To do this, your VPN redirects all your network traffic through a private server which avoids all the prying eyes of third parties and hackers.
Many internet users connect to VPN in order to hide their real IP address. This way their location could be spoofed and they could unblock geographical restricted streaming platforms. There are also corporate or businesses that turn to VPN to ensure that their networks are secured. Most of them use SonicWall Global VPN Client or Cisco AnyConnect.
There are some instances and cases that there a bits of traffic that escape the VPN tunnel and this could expose you. These are often called incident leaks. Through this article, we shall provide you a guide to prevent these mentioned leaks from occurring on your computer.
How to route all your online traffic through VPN on Windows 10?
1. Use a VPN client’s killswitch
- Launch your VPN client
- Open and go to its configuration section
- Find the killswitch option
- Ensure that you have set it to Auto or Always mode
Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access (PIA) is one of the best and reliable VPN service provider. It ensures you will never encounter any hassles and problems. All you have to do is follow the steps we have provided above and ensure that your killswitch feature is always activated.
This VPN service provider ensures that all your network traffic goes straight to their VPN tunnel and in case by chance your VPN connection goes down or fails, Private Internet Access will still keep your connection secured and protected by blocking all the traffic which eliminates the risk of accidental leaks.
2. Modify a VPN connection manually on Windows 10
- Go to Network Connections window
- Look for your preferred VPN connection
- Right click on it
- Select Properties on the menu portion
- Click the networking tab found in the VPN’s properties window
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- Click Properties button
- Click Advanced button
- Ensure that the Use default gateway is ticked with a check
- Click ok
- Restart your PC
3. Use OpenVPN
- Go to OpenVPN configuration file that is associated with your server (OVPN)
- Open it on your text editor
- Add the line redirect-gateway def1 somewhere in the OVPN file
- Save the file
- Close the file
- Restart your OpenVPN server
1. What is Internet Killswitch?
A killswitch is a feature wherein your VPN service provider keeps your connection and traffic secured even in the event when your VPN connection accidentally drops.
2. How to turn on the internet killswitch of Private Internet Access?
Launch PIA desktop client and click on : and click settings found on menu. Go to Privacy portion and ensure that the VPN killswitch portion is on Auto or Always.
3. What is the best VPN for Windows 10?
We highly recommend Private Internet Access. They are one of the most reliable, trustworthy, effective and efficient VPN service providers.
That concludes our guide on how to redirect all network traffic. You will have to ensure all your network traffic stays inside your private VPN. Depending on your computer setup, you could do this in different and several ways and methods.
We highly suggest that you choose a reliable and trustworthy VPN service provider that comes with killswitch. One VPN service provider that we recommend is Private Internet Access as they have a reliable and efficient killswitch.