ExpressVPN is one of the most trusted and reliable Virtual Private Network service providers in the industry. It is compatible with numerous operating system with a few exceptions and one of it is Samsung TV. The reason behind this is because ExpressVPN is compatible with most devices that is ran by iOS, Android, Mac and Windows. Unfortunately, Samsung Smart TV has a different operating system called Tizen OS of which Samsung has been using since 2015 after discontinuing using Orsay operating system.
Unfortunately, ExpressVPN nor other VPN service provider are not compatible with both Tizen OS and Orsay. Hence, you will not be able to install any VPN directly on Samsung TV or any other Smart TVs. Though this is the case, there are still ways for you to be able to use or install ExpressVPN remotely through a compatible router, personal computer of Smart DNS proxy.
How to set up ExpressVPN connection on your Samsung Smart TV through your personal computer (PC)
This first method is the process on how to set up a VPN connection through your personal computer. All you need to do is set up ExpressVPN on your PC then share your computer’s internet connection to Samsung Smart TV. Check step by step process on how to do it below.
- Turn on your computer then select Start.
- Go to Control Panel
- Go to Network and Sharing Center
- Click Change Adapter Settings
- Look for the option TAP-Win32 Adaptor V9, if your VPN is using OpenVPN
- Click right
- Select Properties and click on sharing tab
- Check the box that says, “allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection
- Click on Ethernet connection
- Configure your computer
- Restart your PC
- Start using internet services on your Samsung TV by connecting it to your Personal Computer
How to set up ExpressVPN connection on your router for Samsung Smart TV
The method of connecting ExpressVPN on your PC is one of the greatest ways to be able to make ExpressVPN work on your Samsung Smart TV, this method of using your router is the most convenient way to be able to use a VPN on your Samsung Smart TV.
Take note however, that setting up your VPN could depend on what router you are using. The steps below are steps in setting up DD-WRT routers:
- Click Setup.
- Go to Basic Set up.
- Click PPTP on connection type drop down menu.
- Type ExpressVPN server address in Gateway PPTP server field.
- Fill out your Username and Password.
- Turn on DHCP.
- Go Optional Settings and check whether ExpressVPN requires MTU settings.
- Scroll down Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)
- Type DHCP type option and choose DHCP server
- Enable it
- Enter DNS addresses of ExpressVPN
- Turn off “Use DNSMasq for DHCP and DNS
- Click Save
- Apply settings to connect to VPN service.
Setting up VPN through a MediaStreamer
Through this guide, you will learn how to set up MediaStreamer on your Samsung Smart TV. But, for those who are not familiar with MediaStreamer, MediaStreamers are streaming applications just like Amazon Fire TV, Roku, etc., that are used to stream content from internet or local TV. However, unlike a VPN, MediaStreamer does not have the ability to encrypt your data.
Furthermore, you will need to take note that most Samsung Smart TVs are usually geographically restricted to the location where you have bought your TV. Hence, you will also have to bypass this restriction.
To use MediaStreamer without hassles, you will need to get a DDNS hostname to be able to get a reference that will be able to allow ExpressVPN to see your device as fit enough for MediaStreamer access.
- Go to www.dynu.com
- Create an account
- Check your email for verification
- Click on the verification link from your email and log into your account the DDNS service.
- Click +Add and add a DDNS service.
- If you do not have a hostname, encode a hostname of your choice in Option 1.
- Select +Add. If you have a domain name already, input it on option 2 and select +Add.
- Once you see a hostname and your public IP address, turn off the settings and save.
- If you wish to receive emails from DYNU, leave your notification settings ON.
To set up DNS service on your router, follow the steps below.
- Press the Menu button on your Samsung Smart TV’s remote control
- Look for Network
- Click on Network Status
- Click IP Settings
- Open DNS Settings
- Click Enter Manually
- Put in your DNS Server Address which was given to you by your Smart DNS.
- Press Ok
- Restart your TV once connection test has finished.
Why use ExpressVPN on your Samsung TV
ExpressVPN has made a name in the VPN industry and has proven to be the most reliable and efficient VPN and this alone makes it the best fit for your Samsung Smart TV.
Moreover, ExpressVPN has a huge network of servers located all over the world. They have about 3000 plus servers in about 94 countries. This means, you will have wide excellent location reach which means you will have global access to top notch restricted services and sites while being connected to you Samsung Smart TV and your other devices as well.
This VPN service provider also ensures the safety of their clients’ data. They include different high level security measures such as automatic kill switch and high level encryption functions that ensures your data are protected. In addition to that, ExpressVPN implement strict no logs policy wherein they do not record any data about your connection traffic and your browsing activities.
As for streaming content of geo-restricted sites, you will not have anything to worry as ExpressVPN has reliable ability to unblock restricted sites. Aside from that, ExpressVPN offers easy payment methods. They accept cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin.
As for speed, ExpressVPN’s connection speed has never falter nor has been affected by its tight security levels. This means, streaming will never be a problem and you will never have any problems about buffering and lags. Aside from that, ExpressVPN allows its users to connect up to a maximum of five devices and they are compatible with devices that has operating system like Android, Mac, iOS and Windows. It also works well on different routers especially on DD-WRT router.
Though this VPN service provider does not offer any free-trial period, they have different affordable subscription plans. They also have a 30-day money back guarantee with no questions asked refund policy.
Best ExpressVPN deals for Samsung Smart TV users
As mentioned earlier, ExpressVPN offers different plans with only slightly more expensive that other VPNs. However, we could assure you that it is cost-effective and worth it.
- $8.32/month 12 months
- $9.99/month 6 months
- $12.95/month 1 month
As you could see the most sought after plan is the cheapest which is the 12-month plan which comes with 3-months free offer. This means, you will have 15-months service for only $8.32.
ExpressVPN’s Transfer Protocols
- OpenVPN- this protocol is all about open source. This means if there are any problems about security, they will be able to identify it immediately.
- L2TP/IPsec protocol- this protocol is Layer 2 Tunnel Protocol. This is used with encryption protocol, IPsec which is short for Internet Protocol Security. With this combination, you will have a higher security level.
- PPTP protocol –or Point to point Tunneling Protocol. This protocol is the oldest protocol and has been used since the launch of Window 95. It is fast and useful especially for slow devices.
Though there are numerous other VPN service providers in the market, ExpressVPN is the best fit for Samsung Smart TV with its amazing features and good reputation. Unfortunately, like other VPNs in the market, we agree that there is still much to improve in terms of compatibility with Smart TVs like Samsung. Though this is the case, until the VPN industry addresses this issue, as mentioned above, there are many methods to still be able to connect a VPN to smart TVs. We hope we were able to help you through the guide that was included in this article.