Apple is a leading name in the world of technology thanks to the impressive features that its devices offer. Apple TV is a digital media player that allows you to watch content from the iTunes store or using popular streaming apps like Netflix. There are many options to watch TV shows, movies, sports and much more. Apple TV can support Kodi, which is a free open source media player formerly known as XBMC. However, in order to run Kodi on Apple TV, you need to follow some steps. Here we’ll take a look at the process to install Kodi on your Apple TV.
Get a VPN
The first thing that you need to do is to get a VPN service because this will ensure that your traffic is encrypted and routed through a secure server in the location that you select. When you use Kodi, one of the main risks is to be affected by internet speed throttling. This is because ISPs are likely to place caps and throttle speed when they notice that users are using up a lot of bandwidth by streaming content or downloading torrents. Although there are many streaming and torrenting solutions that are legitimate and that are available via Kodi, some of the content that you may found may be pirated. If your ISP finds out that you have accessed such content, you may receive warning letter from them.
In addition, there are security risks that should be kept in mind when you are using Kodi. Some add-ons may contain malware or they may be used by hackers to launch man-in-the-middle attacks on your system. With a VPN, you can help to keep your system secure and protect it against issues that may affect your privacy. Furthermore, a VPN will allow you to access content that is restricted in your location. While there are many VPN services available, it is important that you choose an option that is reliable.
We recommend services like ExpressVPN, PureVPN, NordVPN and Private Internet Access. They are well known in the industry and offer high quality and security. Apple TV doesn’t support VPNs by default, but there are some alternatives that you can try. It is possible to install the VPN on your iOS device and stream content using Airplay. You can also set up the VPN on a compatible WiFI router or install the VPN on a computer ans configure a virtual router so that you can create a secure WiFi hotspot.
Installing Kodi on Apple TV
It is possible to install Kodi on Apple TV 2nd and 3rd generation. Unfortunately, so far there is no reliable method to install it on Apple TV. Below, you will find the instructions that you can follow to install it on your Second Gen Apple TV.
The first thing that should be noted is that you need to jailbreak your Apple TV in order to be able to install Kodi on it. Although the most recent version of Kodi is Krypton, the best option to install on Apple TV is Kodi Helix. You need to have a Mac computer and open a Terminal window. Your Apple TV and the computer need to be connected to the same network. Here is what you need to do:
1. Enter the following in the terminal:”ssh root@YOUR.ATV2.IP.ADDRESS” and make sure that you replace YOUR.ATV2.IP.ADDRESS using the Apple TV’s IP address”. You will be asked to enter a password. By default, this is “alpine”.
2. Now you need to enter these commands, one by one:
- apt-get install wget
- wget -0- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add – echo “deb
- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main”> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
- echo “deb http://mirrors.kodi.tv/apt/atv2 ./” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
- apt-get update
- apt-get install org.xbmc.kodi-atv2
Reboot. Once you reboot, you will be able to use Kodi from the home screen of your Apple TV.
How to install Kodi on Fourth Generation Apple TV
It is possible to install Kodi on the fiurth generation Apple TV using a Mac or Windows computer. We’ll start with the Mac only method. You will need the below elements:
- The iOS App Signer Utility
- Xcode 7.2 or above
- The latest Kodi .deb file for tvOS (available as direct download via FTP)
- An Apple developer account, which you can get for free
- A USB-C to USB-A cable
Once you have the above, you can start the installation process following these steps:
- The first thing you need to do is to connect your Apple TV to your Mac using the USB-C to USB-A cable.
- Open Xcode and from the software’s main menu, choose “Create a new Xcode project”. Select Application under the tvOS section. Then select Single View Application and Next.
- Enter the necessary information in the product name, organization name and Bundle Identifier fields. Once you have entered all the necessary details, click Next.
- After you click Next, you will come across an error message, but there is no need to worry. The error states “No matching provisioning profiles found”. You just need to select Fix the Issue. Before that, you have to log into your Apple Developer account.
- Xcode will ask you to login using the Apple ID associated to your developer account. Press Add and then enter the sign-in information. If you are asked for the sign-in information once more, you just need to select your Apple ID from the drop-down box available. Press Choose to continue. Xcode will create the provisioning file needed.
- Choose your Apple TV device from the drop-down box that appears at the top of the Xcode window. The menu is found next to the play and stop buttons that are located in the top left side of the window.
- Open the iOS app signer utility and select the relevant certificate under the Signing Certificate field.
- Under the Provisioning Profile field, select the name of the Xcode project previously created. In the Input File field, select the .deb file that you got from the initial list of requirements for the process. Once you fill the fields with the required information, press Start. The iOS App signer will package the file into a .IPA file.
- Select Windows.Devices in Xcode and then select your Apple TV. Under Installed Apps, click the + button.
- Find the .IPA file previously created. It will be installed on your Apple TV and the app should appear on the home screen of the device.
Windows and Mac method
The below process can be used on Windows and Mac computers. Before you start, there are some elements needed including:
- The latest version of iTunes
- Latest version of .deb file of Kodi for TV OS
- Cydia Impactor
- Windows 7 or above, or macOS
Before getting started, you have to convert the Kodi .deb file into a .ipa file because Cydia Impactor only supports .ipa files. You need to install 7zip following the below steps:
- Open the .deb file from within 7zip
- Extract the .deb file and the resulting data.tar file with 7zip too. When you extract the data.tar file, you should get a data folder called Applications. This contains a folder called Kodi.app.
- Now you need to create a folder called Payload inside the Application folder
- Drag and drop the Kodi.app folder into the Payload folder
- Access the Payload folder from within 7zip and press the Add button. Ensure that the Archive format is set to zip and set Kodi.ipa as the archive name.
Press OK. The Kodi.ipa file will be created and will be ready to be installed. Once the .ipa file is created, you will be ready to install it onto your Apple TV with the help of Cydia Impactor. You can complete the installation doing the below:
- Connect your Apple TV to your computer with the help of a USB-C to USB-A cable
- Extract the Cydia Impactor to the location you prefer on your computer. Then open it and ensure that it can detect your Apple TV.
- Drag and drop the Kodi.ipa file into the Cydia Impactor window. You will be asked to enter your Apple ID. Make sure that you enter the valid Apple ID associated with the developer’s account. Click OK to start the installation of Cydia Impactor on the Apple TV.
Now you can access Kodi from the main screen of your Apple TV. Keep in mind that if you use a free Apple Developer account with the methods mentioned, you will need to reinstall the Kodi app on a weekly basis. This can be avoided using a paid Developer account since you can install apps for a full year.