If you PC is working slower than normal, there are numerous reasons why this could happen and one of them could be due to heavy RAM usage. As apps and software require RAM in order to run and for you not to experience any lags you will need to have sufficient amount of RAM. Take note that there are different types of RAMs with different frequency. The higher the frequency of your RAM the faster its performance will be. In other words, the frequency is the speed of the RAM expressed in MHz.
If you do not know your system’s RAM frequency or how to check it, do not fret as we are here to guide you and provide you methods on how to check your RAM frequency of your PC or Mac.
Check RAM Frequency on Windows
There are two ways you could check your RAM frequency. The first method is through using your Task Manager and the other one is through the command prompt. Both methods could work on all versions of Windows such as 7,8, 8.1 and 10.
Method 1- Task Manager
1. To open your task manager, you could either right click on the taskbar and select task manager or you could also press Windows + X key simultaneously and select task manager.
2. Once your task manager is opened, go to the performance tab
3. In the performance tab, go to the left side panel and there you will see different storage options.
4. Select the Memory option.
5. On the right side, you will see the information on the performance of your RAM. You will also see the speed of your RAM and the frequency its using
Method 2- Check RAM Speed Using Command Prompt
- Open your Command Prompt by pressing Windows +X key from the menu.
- Select Command Prompt.
- You could also use Run. Open Run program by pressing Windows + R keys together.
- Type cmd
- Hit enter or press OK
- Now there will be two commands which you could all the information about your system and your storage. The first command is wmic MEMORYCHIP get BankLabel, Capacity, DeviceLocator, MemoryType, TypeDetail, Speed or, you could also copy paste in CMD and press enter.
- This will allow you to see details of your RAM’s speed and frequency.
- The second command, wmic memorychip list full. Type command prompt and hit enter.
- Once enter has been pressed, the command prompt will open a list showing the information of your RAM where you will find frequency and speed.
Check RAM and Speed on macOS
- Click on the apple logo found on your top left corner of your screen on the menu, select About This Mac.
- Check the specification of your macOS and its hardware under the Overview option.
- Beside the Memory, you will see RAM storage, speed and frequency in MHz.
- Go to Applications folder.
- Select Utility
- Select System Information. Once it is open, check the left side panel where you will find a list of hardware, network and software information.
- Under Hardware, look for memory and select it
- Once your select memory, you will see on the right side panel the RAM information with frequency and speed in MHz. It will also show your RAM storage as well.
This concludes our guide on how to check the frequency of your RAM. We hope that we were able to help you with the easy methods that was provided above. The good thing about these methods is you do not need to download or install third party application or software. So what are you waiting for? Check and try the methods provided above.