One of the most frustrating thing whenever you are connecting to your VPN is getting an error message stating that “The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer”. Unfortunately, this error could happen from time to time on Windows 10. The good news is this could be solved and could be fixed easily but before we tackle that, we should first have to learn why this error occurs and the answer to that is it is because there is an improper setup when you try to connect to an L2TP server which causes connection failures. Another reason could be that you have an incorrect configuration in your Win10 install.
How to Fix Error 789 for Windows 10?
To solve the error 789 for Windows 10, all you have to do is follow the steps and guidelines below.
1. Check the certificate- This is the first step that you should check. You will have to ensure that you are using the correct certificate on both of the server and client side.
2. Re-enable your IPSec on your computer. All you have to do:
- Right click on the Windows icon found on the lower left hand corner.
- Click on Run
- When a prompt pops-up, type services.msc.
- Look for IKE and AuthIP IPSec Keying Modules. Once you find it, under the heading, look for IPSec Policy Agent
- Check the status
- Click restart
- If started option is disabled, change it and enable it
- Change Startup Type from Manual to Automatic
- Save changes
- Restart your VPN service
3. Reset the network adapter
- Right click on the Windows icon which you will find on the lower left hand corner
- Select Device Manager
- Go to Network adapter
- Right click on it and click Uninstall
- Restart your computer
We hope that we were able to help you fix and find solutions in solving the Error 789 connection error when using L2TP through the steps and guidelines that we have featured above.