Kodi has taken the world of streaming by storm and it has become the favorite solution for millions of people who want to manage and access media content. It is likely that you have heard about Kodi, but if you are not sure about what it does and how it can be configured, don’t worry, here we will tell you all you need to know to be able to configure a TV box with Kodi to enjoy freedom to watch the content that you want.
What is Kodi and Android Box?
Let’s start by taking a closer look at Kodi and Android box to help you to understand better how they work. Android boxes work with Android and they can access the Google Play Store. You can get them from many different vendors and locations, including some devices that come with Kodi pre-installed. Kodi works as a powerful entertainment center that gives you the chance to connect to your local network and stream content that you already have stored in your devices. But it does much more than that as it lets you stream TV and movies with the help of a wide selection of add-ons. Kodi addons give you freedom to access a great variety of content for free.
Kodi add-ons provide free access to a premium content such as the latest Hollywood movies and popular TV shows that air on paid TV, so as you can imagine, there is a catch. These add-ons generally obtain the content from sources that are not authorized by copyright holders, which means that you could end up facing legal warnings or even fines, in some cases. Using a legitimate streaming service that is licensed by copyright holders is the best way to avoid issues. However, it is up to you to decide if you prefer to stream content via unofficial Kodi add-ons. In that case, keep in mind the risks and make sure that you protect your privacy with a VPN.
A VPN establishes a secure tunnel between your device and the destination server, that allows you to stay anonymous and to protect your privacy when you are online. The encryption that a VPN applies to your internet traffic, ensures that you can use the internet anonymously and prevents your ISP from throttling your connection. When you use a VPN, you stop others from seeing what you are doing online since the data is scrambled and it can’t be read. Apart from being a great solution for privacy, a VPN also provides online freedom.
You can use a VPN to bypass geographical restrictions and get access to a larger selection of content, including content that is blocked in your location. For instance, some websites or streaming services are only available in a specific country, such as the United States. There are also services that offers different content according to the region. The case of Netflix is well known since this streaming platform offers different content across the markets that it supports. Subscribers in Canada, don’t get the same content as those in the United States, for example.
Some countries get considerably less options than those in the US, which seems unfair considering that they often pay the same price. The good news is that with a VPN, it is possible to bypass the blocks and get access to the content that you want. We recommend you to consider options such as IPVanish, ExpressVPN and NordVPN, as they provide a high level of security, good speeds for streaming and they don§t keep logs of your activities.
How to connect an Android Box to the TV?
Android boxes feature an HDMI cable so all that you have to do is to plug that cable directly into your TV set. It is really very simple. You can even get an HDMI to AV converter, in case your TV doesn’t support HDMI. You can connect the supplied adapter into your Android TV box and switch it on using the remote that is included.
Then you just need to follow the instructions that appear on the screen to connect to your home WiFi connection or use a hardwired Ethernet connection to further enhance your streaming experience. In case there is no WiFi screen, you can access settings, then go to WiFi to connect with your home WiFi.
Click on the Kodi option that appears on the screen and follow the steps to get access to an incredible selection of content that includes live sports streams, TV shows, movies and more.
At first, installing add-ons may seem like a complicated task, but even if you are a beginner, you will be able to complete the process as it is very simple and only requires a few steps that you will master after some time.
General steps to install add-ons
- Since these add-ons are not available in the Play Store, you have to ensure that Android box can install them. We need to enable Unknown sourcnes.
- Launch Kodi and go to the system menu, which can be accessed through the icon that looks like a gear on the top left corner.
- Go to system setting, then add-ons and click the Unknown Sources option to select it. After installing the add-ons you want to use, you can go back and disable this option by unchecking the box.
How to install Kodi Repositories
Kodi add-ons are available in repositories on different servers online. After you find the repository with the files, you will have to complete the below steps to install them.
- Go back to the system menu, which is the gear icon on the top left and go to file manager.
- Select add source by clicking twice on the option.
- On this screen, click on the pop-message that reads and enter the address of the repository, which we”ll provide later on. Name this source as you prefer, just make sure that it is a name that you will remember and that is related.
How to install Kodi Add-ons
- Return to Kodi’s main screen and select the add-ons section, which is an icon that looks like an open box.
- Select install from zip file and then go to the repository that you are want to use and click twice on it. Allow some time for the completion message to appear.
- Go one step back and choose install from repository and then within the repository. Look for the add-on you want to use. Click twice on this add-on to install it and allow some time for the completion message to appear.
- Some add-ons need additional configuration (such as usernames and passwords). That can be done from the configuration screen. It is possible to find all the video add-ons in the Video Add-ons section of your Kodi home screen.
There is a wide selection of add-ons available from many different repositories. While some are perfect for movies, others are better for TV and others are the best choice for Sports, so you can select what better suits your preferences. You can install as many add-ons as you want en enjoy a versatile viewing experience. Some of the best Kodi add-ons available are Maverick TV, Plex, Modbro, SALTS, Modbina and Emby. You can also try repositories like Kodil and Super Repo. One thing to keep in mind regarding Kodi add-ons is that some of them may stop working all of the sudden.
Issues with add-ons
You may come across error messages when running add-ons, even when the add-ons are working perfectly. In most cases, the issue is due to contents that are geo-locked, which means that they are only available in certain regions. If you try to watch content that is blocked in your location, you may encounter errors. Luckily, this kind of issue can be easily solved using a VPN service. As we previously mentioned, a VPN lets you overcome blocks and it also adds security to your connection.