While it is not usual to come across VPN Error 812 , there is a simple way to get it resolved so don’t be alarmed if you experience it. When you get Error 812, you will see a message telling you the following: The connection was prevented because of a policy configured on your RAS/VPN server. Specifically, the authentication method configured in your connection profile. Please content the Administrator of the RAS server and notify them of this error”.
Due to the message and the fact that it is not a common error, many VPN users get worried when facing error 812. The error prevents you from reestablishing a connection to the VPN, after it has been disconnected. The good news is that it can be fixed easily and within a few steps. As the message indicated, the error is related to the RSA/VPN server. It is possible to resolve the problem by restarting the RRAS serve. Alternatively, you can allow about one hour and reconnect your VPN.
What does it mean that “the connection was prevented due to a policy configured on RAS/VPN”?
Error 812 is a technical issues that is caused on the server side. While that means that the solution is not exactly in your hands, there is still a way in which you can get rid of it within seconds. Before we check the fixes, let’s go through the possible cases of error 812.
- In most cases, error 812 takes place when the authentication protocol of the VPN server is set to “MS-CHAP” and you are using Windows Vista and above to access the client. The reason is that MS-CHAP is no longer available in Windows Vista and later versions of the operating system.
- If the Authentication protocol is selected via NPS (Network Policy & Access Services), error 812 may appear.
- Another possible cause of error 812 is that the RRAS based VPN server is configured in a different way than the VPN client system.
The above are the most likely causes of error 812. Regardless of what is the reason why you are coming across this issue, there are simple steps that you can follow to get it resolved. The process is not complicated and it will help you to get rid of the error in just a matter of minutes.
Fix the VPN Connection Error 812
Error 812 may not be common and it is unlikely that many VPN users come across it. However, as previously mentioned, it only takes a few steps to get it resolved without having to contact your VPN provider. You will need to access your VPN settings but once you do it, you will be able to resolve the error very quickly. All you need to do is to follow the below steps to get rid of this annoying error.
- If you experience error 812, the first step is to change the Primary DNS to Domain Controller.
- Once you have done the above, access the Secondary DNS to set up the External DNS
- The next thing that you need to do is to set the range of the Primary DNS as 184.108.40.206. Check the settings, apply them and then restart your VPN. The error should not appear anymore.
That is all you have to do. The VPN connection error 812 should not appear anymore, but if you are still coming across it. You will need to get in touch with your VPN provider, since as mentioned before, the issue is on the server side.