To be able to unblock Netflix when you are in Indonesia, all you have to do is follow the steps below:
- Subscribe to a Virtual Private Network or VPN. We highly recommend ExpressVPN. You could subscribe to ExpressVPN through their official website
- Install your VPN on your preferred device
- Connect to a server outside of Indonesia
- Access Netflix
In this article, you will learn the issues that affect numerous individuals who are based in Indonesia in terms of watching Netflix. This could be due to blocking or banning of Netflix from the IndiHome network. In this article or guide we will explain the following:
- Issues/ problem/s in accessing Netflix from IndiHome network.
- Why is it blocked and not banned/government censorship?
- How to use VPN to unblock or get around IndiHome Netflix block.
- Not all IP replacement services would and could work around the block
- Why it is not breach of Netflix terms of service/s
- How to use premium ExpressVPN to get around block.
Why can’t you access Netflix from IndiHome Network?
There are reports stating that Netflix is blocked and/or banned in Indonesia. Fortunately, this news is categorically false. There are only four countries around the world that has blocked Netflix and they are Crimea, China, North Korea and Syria.
With Indonesia being one of the heavily populated countries, it is difficult to believe that Netflix is unavailable in Indonesia. In fact, Netflix has invested a lot in developing its content for Indonesia. But, what is the problem?
The problem is that Telkomsel, cellular provider and internet service provider, IndiHome which is state-owned by Telkom group has blocked access to Netflix from all of its internet protocol. Unfortunately, Telskomsel is the biggest internet provider in Indonesia.
The reason why Telkom blocks Netflix is due to Netflix not being able to comply to a request to remove a problematic content within 24 hours. This content could be sensitive content such as violence and nudity. Since Indonesia is a Muslim majority state, it is important that contents of shows are more of on the conservative approach.
Why this Netflix block is not a government ban or censorship?
The president of Telkomsel mobile in 2016 has stated that the block on Netflix is under consideration and it is currently being blocked due to concerns on regulations on pornography and SARA (religion, tribal afflictions, race and societal groups). Netflix on the other hand stated that it uses US regulations as their reference point- which are more likely to be more open.
To make it clearer and to emphasize, the blocking of Netflix is implemented by Telkomsel and not by any censorship coming from the Indonesian Government. Hence, there has no warnings or law that states that the government is banning Netflix in Indonesia. With that said, Netflix could still be accessed through other services of other Internet Service Provider/s other than Telkomsel.
How to use VPN to get around Netflix block?
If you would not want to leave and you would still wish to stay with Telkom internet provider, there is still another way for you to circumvent the block and that is through the use of a Virtual Private Network or more commonly known as VPN. To use VPN to get around Netflix block, all you have to do is follow the steps below:
- Install your preferred VPN service on your preferred device/s- computer, laptop or router.
- Connect to a VPN server. This will encrypt your internet traffic and your IP address will be replaced with another one depending on which country you choose
- Through VPN, your location will be masked from your Internet Service Provider which will allow you to access Netflix.
VPNs come with special functions that could hide your VPN’s presence. This means other system nor your ISP will not be able to detect that you are using a VPN. Take note and remember, Netflix is not illegal in Indonesia. Hence, it is perfectly legal to access Netflix in Indonesia.
Is this a breach of Netflix Terms of Service?
No. There are only two relevant clauses in Netflix Terms of Services and they are the following:
- You could view Netflix content primarily within the country in which you have established your account and only in geographic locations where Netflix offer service and have licensed content. Content may be available to watch will vary by geographic location and could change from time to time.
Hence, with these provisions and with Indonesia not really banning Netflix in the country means you are not violating the terms and conditions of Netflix.
Does this mean any old VPN could work?
We would still highly recommend you try the ExpressVPN free trial as they are more reliable in providing access to Netflix Indonesia. If one of their provided IP address/es, this could easily be replaced by your VPN. Not all VPN services work with Netflix, here is a list of services that still work in 2020.
What are other ways to hide IP address?
Aside from VPN, there are other methods, ways and tools that could hide your IP address. One of which is the use of Tor browser. Though take note that using Tor browser, you will have to expect that your connection will be slow. Hence it is not advisable for watching Netflix.
How to Unblock Netflix on IndiHome?
- Choose high quality VPN service. We highly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download your VPN on your preferred device- computer, laptop, etc.
- Once your VPN app opens, choose server located in Indonesia and connect to it. This will automatically create an encryption tunnel between your location in Indonesia and a new visible IP.
- Go to Netflix and enjoy watching your favorite show/s.