How to send anonymous email
There are times when you would need to send an email with sensitive information and you would not like your identity to be known or discovered by any cost. Good news is, it is possible to send and receive untraceable email. Yes, there are actually numerous ways to send and receive emails anonymously.
Three reasons why you would want to use an untraceable email
1. You are a journalist – there are times when journalists would be monitored and targeted by powerful governments, institutions and/or corporations and you would not want your secrets to be revealed. Anonymous emails provide journalists cover which is important need to communicate with their sources, etc.
2. You are a whistleblower – if you are combating corruption, fraud, crime, sexual harassment, abuse or other violation, using an anonymous email is essential as whistleblowers could put themselves at risk. The accused could do things to retaliate such as firing them, bullying, blacklisting, etc.
3. You would want to avoid spam and tracking – there are numerous spammers and companies who send advertisements from websites, mailing lists and discussion boards. Usually they use bulk emailing for marketing campaigns and one way to avoid this is through using an anonymous email address. You could also use this when you log into other social media like Facebook.
How to send an anonymous email?
1. Create a new email account
- Create a new email account on popular email service such as Yahoo or Google.
- When you create an email ensure you use an account name that would not tip you off or could lead to you.
- Choose a fake name, date of birth and home address
- There are some email service providers that require you to provide a real phone number to send you a verification code. Think twice about this as this information could lead back to you.
Take note that even if you do not provide any personal information, your IP address could still track and collect your data based on your internet online activities and these could provide clues and reveal your identity and location. Furthermore, popular email providers are also obliged to provide this information to law enforcement agencies. Though this is the case, do not fret as you could protect yourself from it by using a Virtual Private Network or VPN. Through the use of a VPN, you could change and mask your original IP address.
2. Use a burner email
Using a burner email account allows you to be able to send and receive emails without revealing your identity. However, take note that they expire and deletes themselves after a certain period of time. Some would allow you to send an email without creating an account. If you need something temporary, we recommend AnonymouseMail. Their services are for free which means, we also highly recommend that you use a VPN for added protection.
If you need temporary receive only inbox, you could use TrashMail, Mailinator ( Mailinator Alternatives ), 10 minutemail or one of it’s alternatives. These services will provide you a public address or a disposable account which will delete by itself after a certain period of time.
3. Use an encrypted email
Encrypted email allows you to use an email like the normal functionality of a common email. The only difference is it encrypts your emails, contact list and your inbox. This means, no one could snoop on your online traffic and read its contents. This is a great option for secure and ongoing communication. Check out the best encrypted email providers
4. Use a VPN
We highly recommend that no matter which method you use, to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). This way your online traffic will be routed to a server and encrypted at the same time. This means it would be more difficult for anyone to trace you. Furthermore, with a VPN that is highly trusted and reliable like NordVPN has a strict no logs policy which means they do not store any of your data or information.
Private email tips
- When you set up a new account, never use the same password on any other of your accounts. You could even use a random password generator,
- Do not include any personal information that could point to you. Do not use the name of your dog or your favorite TV show or sport, etc.
- Keep your anonymous account login details and passwords safe.
- Do not use your email account to log into other services like twitter and Spotify
- If you are using a VPN send your email on a public network.
- Before logging into your account ensure that your VPN is working.